Recent data publications have highlighted the health inequalities that exist for ovarian cancer in the UK. In this episode, Dr Tracie Miles discusses the importance of symptom recognition for ovarian cancer in primary care. Dr Miles is a Gynaecological Cancer Nurse Specialist, Genomics (Practitioner) based at Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Foundation Trust.
Dr Tracie Miles would like her take home messages to be:
- National variations around the diagnosis and management of ovarian cancer exist, with no screening programme on the horizon.
- Where possible, get to know your local gynaecological cancer nurse specialist within secondary care.
- Understand that there is a serious need for ovarian cancer. Remember that suspicious symptoms require a speedy referral.
- National Cancer Registration and Analysis Service. Ovarian Cancer Audit Feasibility Pilot: Outputs. Available at: http://www.ncin.org.uk/cancer_type_and_topic_specific_work/cancer_type_specific_work/
gynaecological_cancer/gynaecological_cancer_hub/ovarian_cancer_audit_feasibility_pilot_outputs (accessed October 2021)
- Menon U, et al. Ovarian cancer population screening and mortality after long-term follow-up in the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2021;397(10290):2182-2193. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00731-5.
- The Eve Appeal. UKCTOCS. 2021. Available at: https://eveappeal.org.uk/our-research/our-research-programmes/ukctocs/ (accessed October 2021)
- MRC Clinical Trials Unit at UCL. UKCTOCS. 2021. Available at: https://www.ctu.mrc.ac.uk/studies/all-studies/u/ukctocs/ (accessed October 2021)
- Cancer Research UK. A trial looking at screening the general population for ovarian cancer (UKCTOCS). 2021. Available at: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/find-a-clinical-trial/a-study-looking-at-screening-the-general-population-for-ovarian-cancer#undefined (accessed October 2021)
- NICE. 2021. Ovarian cancer – NICE Pathways. Available at: https://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/ovarian-cancer#content=view-node%3Anodes-ovarian-cancer-services (accessed October 2021)