In this episode, we focus on the importance of an early diagnosis of heart failure with Nick Hartshorne-Evans, Founder and CEO of Pumping Marvellous, the UK’s heart failure patient-led charity.
Nick Hartshorne-Evans would like his take-home messages to be:
- Confirm your patient is on the heart failure QOF register to ensure their annual patient review and optimisation.
- Refer your patient to the heart failure specialist team if they are worsening or if you suspect symptoms of heart failure.
- Check your patient is on optimised standard of care therapy.
- Ziaeian B, et al. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2016;13(6):368-78.
- Lloyd-Jones DM, et al. Circulation. 2002;106(24):3068-72.
- AstraZeneca UK Ltd. Data on File. ID: REF-82605. July 2020.
- Taylor CJ, et al. BMJ. 2019;364:l223.
- Conrad N, et al. Lancet. 2018;391(10120):572-580.
- National Heart Failure Audit, 2019 Summary Report (2017/18 data). Available from: https://www.nicor.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Heart-Failure-2019-Report-final.pdf (last accessed June 2021)
- Alliance for Heart Failure. Heart Failure: A Call to Action. Available from: https://allianceforheartfailure.org/heart-failure-a-call-to-action/ (last accessed June 2021)
- Pumping Marvellous. Heart Failure Diagnosis. Available from: https://pumpingmarvellous.org/heart-failure-guide/heart-failure-diagnosis (last accessed June 2021)
- Pumping Marvellous. Impact of COVID-19 and Heart Failure Care in the UK. Available from: https://pumpingmarvellous.org/impact-of-covid-19-and-heart-failure-care-in-the-uk (last accessed June 2021)
- Taylor CJ, et al. BJGP Open. 2021;BJGPO.2021.0006.
- Mamas MA, et al. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017;19(9):1095-1104.
- British Heart Foundation. Heart Failure: A Blueprint for Change. Available from: https://www.bsh.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Heart-Failure-A-Blueprint-For-Change-Oct-2020-3.pdf (last accessed June 2021)
- Zaman S, et al. Eur Heart J. 2017:19;1401-1409.