Thanks to Dr Thuva Amuthan for his time. All information in the episode is based on the personal experience of the presenters.
Key take-home points
- Check the patient’s daily routine.
- Advise patients with eczema to stop using soap – it has a drying effect on the skin and can perpetuate dry skin conditions.
- If you are struggling to get on top of a patient’s skin condition, go back to basics.
- Encourage patients to use emollients, and ensure they are using them!
- Consider the psychological impact of dermatological conditions.
- Treat acne attentively and escalate therapy to prevent long-term complications.
- With thick plaques in psoriasis, consider urea-containing creams to help other medications work.
- Be cautious about giving oral steroids to patients with psoriasis as this can cause a rebound flare.
- Educating patients about their condition is key.